Congress-led Harish Rawat government pressed into service a team of more than 300 Border Road Organization personnel to repair and renovate about 620-km-long Char Dham yatra motorable routes before it begins on May 2.
These yatra routes, including Rudraprayag-Kedarnath, Karanprayag-Badrinath and Uttarkashi-Gangotri and Yamnotri, were extensively damaged in the mid-June flash floods.
The BRO personnel were deployed at different points on these routes hours after the state government received Rs 210 crore allocated for the purpose. “We have set a deadline for April 20 to complete these roads before the yatra begins,” said chief secretary Subhash Kumar.
A 10-member officials team led by chief secretary Subhash Kumar and additional chief secretary Rakesh Sharma which conducted an on-the-spot survey of 25 spots of on the highways on Wednesday, told TOI that these BRO personnel have been asked work non-stop to restore the routes.
A senior IAS officer in Uttarakhand disaster management department said more than 10,000 pilgrims area expected to visit the Char Dham shrines after last year’s deluge caused extensive damage to these routes.